Saturday, February 18, 2012

UNDER ORDERS TO ROCK…FROM THE LAW

Today at around 5:30, making my way to the recording studio, I was pulled over after making an illegal left turn. It was an honest mistake, one of those 4-7pm deals you have in LA. But honest mistakes usually still cost an arm and a leg and cause all kinds of grief. The officer, a courteous-but-no-nonsense African-American motorcycle cop, already had four other unfortunates waiting for their curbside judgement.

So he takes my license, and maybe gets a quick glimpse of my "01" artist's work Visa. He then tells me to wait "until he's dealt with everyone else". Getting a little bit edgy here. Why am I so special? It takes about 10 very long minutes to give everyone their tickets, then upon returning to my car, with my license, he asks:

"So what do you do for work here in the US?"

"I'm a musician".

Pause.

"Well, how did I know that?"

Alright, I'm ready for a car search, plus impound, or at least a $300 ticket at this moment. Instead he hands me my license back and tells me he will let me off without a citation today. Unreal. I'm mumbling something, a lot actually, about how much I really, really appreciate this and put the car in gear, as he leans in ever so slightly and says "Rock on my brother".

Shit! Really? I mean how can I not abide by the law now and do exactly as I'm told tomorrow. Album sessions start in the morning, and I've been ordered to rock.

1 comment: